Website Rockley Watersports
Outdoor Adventure Practical Tutor
Rockley is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic, experienced and well organised Senior Instructor to join the Education team to deliver the practical elements of our thriving Outdoor Adventure programmes.
We have a belief in offering young people amazing experiences and as such we are looking to recruit an Outdoor Adventure Practical Tutor to lead on our college programmes covering the practical elements of the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport and Physical Activity (Outdoors), Level 2 Diploma in Sport (Outdoors), Level 3 Outdoor Activity Instructor Apprenticeship and Outdoor Instructor Traineeship.
Our programmes cover a broad range of topics preparing our young people for a life working in the Outdoors Industry as an instructor. Each programme is assessed through coursework and practical assessments and you will be fully involved in this process, supervising the practical units included in our programmes such as waterbased skills, landbased skills, alternative pursuits, leading water based etc and ensuring all activities are delivered and all practical assessments are complete.
Typical activities these units cover is:
Waterbased – Sailing, Windsurfing, Paddleboarding, Canoeing, Kayaking, Powerboating, Bell Boating, Raft Building, Coasteering etc
Land based – High / Low Ropes, Climbing, Abseiling, Mountain Biking, Walking, Orienteering, Rifle Shooting, Tunnelling, Tomahawk Throwing, Archery, Team Building, Expeditions, Bushcraft etc
This is a varied role that may see you delivering on the water one day and the next day on land, you may be watching students and completing observation records in a morning or filming participants in an afternoon, the next week you may be supervising on the ski trip, then maybe mentoring our apprentices and trainees or next attending parents evening and going to careers fairs. It is a role that is as diverse as our students and requires not only an experienced instructor in all the activities we deliver but someone that can communicate and encourage young people in a way that ensures they succeed.
Is this role for you?
Do you love the Outdoors? Are you happy delivering in all weathers and want to be outside doing a practical hands on role? Do you believe in offering young people the best posisble experiences and confident sharing your knowledge? If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
Successful duties will include but are not limited to:
• Deliver a variety of practical modules from the education programmes.
• Lead, inspire and support learners with a variety of student needs.
• Provide effective feedback to support learners and ensure their development and achievement.
• Provide ideas and contribute to the design, delivery, future planning and development of the vocational courses and Rockley Education.
• Act as a Rockley representative at parents’ evenings, taster days, open days and careers or education conventions and fairs
• Organise, and when needed, participate in relevant visits, field trips and residentials.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
• RYA Senior Instructor / RYA Sailing Instructor / RYA Windsurfing Instructor
• Variety of Instructor and leadership qualifications in outdoor activities such as Paddlesports, Mountain Biking, Climbing, Walking, Orienteering, Duke of Edinburgh
• Driving Licence / Minibus / Midas Licence
• Ability to deliver a high standard of coaching, teaching, learning and assessment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with students, colleagues, and parents.
• Flexible / can do attitude to work.
• Experience of safeguarding practices
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
• RYA qualifications Senior Instructor, Coach Assessor, Powerboat Instructor, First Aid Trainer, Duke of Edinburgh Trainer and Assessor
• Qualified at degree level in Sport / Physical Education / Outdoor Adventure or a related subject.
• Hold a relevant teaching qualification (e.g. PGCE/Cert Ed/DTTLS)
• Experience of teaching 16 – 19-year-olds / Further Education / Apprentices
• Experience of providing tutorial support and pastoral/guidance to students.
• Commitment to personal career and professional development
You must sign in to apply for this position.